UFC 273 Results: At UFC 273, Alexander Volkanovski retained his featherweight title via TKO in the fourth round over Chan Sung Jung in Jacksonville, Fla. The Australian champion controlled from the start, hitting punch after punch on “Korean Zombie” until referee Herb Dean came in to stop the fight in the fourth round following a devastating blow.
Volkanovski (24-1) has now won 11 of his first 12 fights in the UFC, behind just welterweight champion Kamaru Usman’s 12-fight winning record (15). Korean Zombie (17-7), a former championship candidate, claimed after the bout that he would need more time to determine whether or not to return to MMA.
In the co-main event, Aljamain Sterling defeated former champion Petr Yan to defend his UFC bantamweight title. Sterling used his superior grappling abilities to repeatedly take Yan – a prolific striker — down for ground-and-pound and submission attempts throughout the bout. Despite Yan’s two solid rounds at the end of the fight, the judges awarded Sterling the victory in a split decision based on his early success.
It’s possible that the early frontrunner for the 2022 Fight of the Year occurred right before the two title battles. Khamzat Chimaev, a rising star, and Gilbert Burns put on a show for the ages, hitting strong punches throughout the three rounds, which came down to the final five minutes of action.
Chimaev (11-0) seems to be one win away from a welterweight championship chance, but Burns (20-5) — a previous title contender — saw his status climb as a result of his loss.
Card for UFC 273
- Chan Sung Jung is knocked out in the fourth round by Alexander Volkanovski.
- Aljamain Sterling is victorious. Petr Yan was victorious in a split decision.
- Khamzat Chimaev wins a unanimous decision against Gilbert Burns.
- Mackenzie Dern wins a split decision over Tecia Torres.
- Mark Madsen wins a unanimous decision over Vinc Pichel.
- Ian Garry wins a majority decision against Darian Weeks.
- Raquel Pennington wins a unanimous decision against Aspen Ladd.
- Anthony Hernandez wins a unanimous decision against Josh Fremd.
- Mike Malott wins the opening round against Mickey Gall. TKO
- Alexey Oleynik submits Jared Vanderaa in the first round.
- Piera Rodriguez wins a unanimous decision against Kay Hansen
- Julio Arce wins a unanimous decision against Daniel Santos